Now accepting Telehealth appointments. Schedule a virtual visit.

Mercury Poisoning

Brightleaf Dental

Nazila Satvat, DDS

Cosmetic Dentist & Holistic Dentist located in Santa Monica, CA

If you have a crown, bridge, or tooth filling, there’s a high probability it was made from metals and alloys such as the neurotoxin mercury. Mercury is considered by the World Health Organization as one of the top 10 chemicals of major public health concern. At Brightleaf Dental in Santa Monica, California, Nazila Satvat, DDS, can remove the unnatural and harmful metal products from your mouth. To learn more about what mercury poisoning can do to you, call the office or schedule an appointment online today.

Mercury Poisoning Q & A

How is mercury poisoning related to dental work?

Mercury is a naturally occurring element found on Earth. For decades, dentists have used mercury in dental work like fillings, crowns, or bridges. The problem is that even minimal exposure to mercury may cause serious health problems.  

While it’s common practice for the amalgams that fill cavities to contain about 50% mercury, Dr. Satvat steers clear of toxic materials because tiny amounts of mercury can be released as your amalgam filling wears out in the form of vapor.

Brightleaf Dental is a mercury-safe practice with the goal of protecting the environment, patients, and the dental staff. Dr. Satvat offers you a variety of natural treatment options that help you maintain great oral health while minimizing toxicity and can remove amalgam fillings.

What are the symptoms of mercury poisoning?

The symptoms and severity of mercury poisoning depend on a variety of factors, including how long you’ve had metal crowns, bridges, or fillings. It’s also important to take into consideration how many fillings you have.

Symptoms of mercury poisoning from fillings may include:

  • Depression
  • Anxiety
  • Excessive anger
  • Memory loss
  • Poor motor control
  • Weight loss
  • Skin rashes
  • Headaches
  • Excessive fatigue
  • Weakness
  • Gastrointestinal distress

These are only a few symptoms directly or indirectly related to mercury poisoning. Because mercury is classified as a neurotoxin, Dr. Satvat recommends you remove the metal materials in your mouth and replace them with resin or porcelain.

How is mercury poisoning diagnosed?

Since there are many symptoms associated with mercury poisoning, it’s important to be tested if you believe you may have mercury poisoning. There are a few tests that can be done, including a blood or urine test to determine your body’s mercury levels.

Some people can handle a small amount of toxicity and immune suppression, while others can’t. To be safe, Dr. Satvat partners with a holistic medical doctor who can perform chelation therapy designed to help your body rid itself of built up toxins.

If you have crowns, fillings, or bridges made of metal and alloys, Dr. Satvat can replace them with resin or porcelain. To learn more, call Brightleaf Dental or book your appointment online today.