Amalgam is a combination of metals including silver, tin, copper, and mercury that most traditional dentists use to fill cavities. Having metals and alloys in your mouth can increase toxicity levels, make your immune system reactive, and cause adverse side effects. At Brightleaf Dental in Santa Monica, California, Nazila Satvat, DDS, practices holistic dentistry and aims to keep her patients from any exposure to harmful products by removing amalgam fillings and replacing them with resin or porcelain. For questions on why you should remove your amalgam filling, call the office or schedule an appointment online today.
Dental amalgam is the most common material dentists use to fill cavities. It contains a combination of metals including silver, tin, copper, and mercury.
Dr. Satvat doesn’t believe in using or exposing you to harmful products such as metals and alloys. This is the main reason she recommends and performs safe mercury amalgam filling removal using only metal-free materials like porcelain and resin.
At Brightleaf Dental, Dr. Satvat believes in a holistic approach to her dental work, staying away from harmful products and using the most natural ones. Since an amalgam filling contains multiple metals, it has the potential for the following consequences:
Dr. Satvat’s priority is to optimize your oral health and save as much of your natural tooth as possible. By not using metal for fillings and using porcelain or resin, she doesn’t have to remove as much of your health tooth to make room for the filling.
Additionally, the metal in your amalgam filling is susceptible to expand and contract due to hot and cold drinks. This can cause your teeth to crack and become an easy target for bacteria to penetrate.
In traditional dentistry, dentists tend to use silver fillings that contain approximately 50% mercury. Over time, the mercury in the filling slowly begins to emit vapor, which can cause mercury toxicity.
According to the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology, over 80% of the mercury vapor from amalgam fillings is absorbed by your lungs and passed on to the rest of your body. The amount of mercury vapor released can be intensified by activities such as teeth grinding, chewing, and drinking hot liquids.
Over time, you can begin to experience symptoms of mercury poisoning. There are over 200 symptoms, so the list below includes only the most common ones:
To avoid any potential problems associated with your amalgam, Dr. Satvat can replace your filling with a metal-free material such as resin or porcelain. To learn more, call Brightleaf Dental or book your appointment online today.