Amalgam Removal & Mercury Free Dentistry
Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades & Brentwood, CA
Amalgam Removal at Brightleaf Cosmetic & Holistic Dentistry
The body of evidence that amalgam fillings can cause a broad range of health disorders is continually growing. At the same time, the technology for safe amalgam removal has forged ahead. For these reasons, Santa Monica cosmetic dentist Ana Brightleaf advocates that patients become aware of the mercury free dentistry options because the dental and overall health benefits are proving to be substantial.
What Is Amalgam?
Amalgam means “mixture” and that’s exactly what this is: a mixture of mercury, silver and other metals such as copper and tin. Though there have been changes in amalgam over the years, it is still essentially a mixture of these metals and each manufacturer’s formula is slightly different. Amalgam is still commonly used by many dentists.
What We Have Learned About Amalgam
Studies have shown that amalgam fillings are often toxic when absorbed into the body. There is also a question about the sealing ability of these fillings. In our practice we have found that fully 90% of the amalgams removed have decay underneath coupled with internal or external fractures in the tooth.
What You Need to Know
To correctly remove and replace amalgam fillings it is critical to assure that you will not absorb more of the material in the removal process.
Mercury Free Dentistry at Brightleaf Cosmetic & Holistic Dentistry:
Before Amalgam Removal
After Amalgam Removal
Our process of amalgam removal integrates the latest in high technology with scientifically proven natural and herbal substances.
- To prevent mercury and other metals from being ingested, our cosmetic dentist uses the leading edge Isolite system. It employs a flexible shield that comfortably fits in your mouth so you can relax your jaw as we work. It protects the throat, illuminates the mouth, and creates double suction to keep the amalgam localized.
- For additional comfort, we provide pure oxygen for you to breathe.
- In addition to the Isolite device, we use a third, high speed suction source that literally pulls the amalgam out of your mouth as it is released from the tooth.
- A new, specialized drill bit is used to very rapidly release the amalgam.
- Throughout the process, copious water is used to rinse and remove amalgam.
To promote healing, oral health, and comfort, we also use a chlorella rinse, administer Bach Flower Remedies, and utilize aromatherapy products.
Our cosmetic dentist and dental team do our best to assure patient comfort during the process and to accomplish it as quickly as possible.
Learn more about amalgam removal and mercury free dentistry by contacting Dr. Ana Brightleaf for a consultation today. Our holistic dental practice serves patients in Santa Monica, Brentwood, Pacific Palisades and surrounding communities.